How Donations Are Processed
Donations to Nonprofits and Schools through GiftsForHumanity
Visitors are donating directly to your nonprofit or school. Donations go immediately to your school or nonprofit. Here is how it works.
We use a service of PayPal called Adaptive Payments for processing all financial transactions. Donors can pay with their PayPal account or a credit card.
- Your nonprofit or school provides us its PayPal account identifier (which is an email address). We recommend you use a unique PayPal account just for this purpose, in order to simplify your bookkeeping.
- The full cart amount—that is, the donations plus the optional greeting card purchases (including the postage stamp and sales tax)—is immediately paid directly to your PayPal account. PayPal deducts its payment processing fee, which is generally 2.2% and 30 cents for nonprofits.
- PayPal then automatically transmits from your account to the GiftsForHumanity account the transaction fee and greeting card purchase amount.
Donations to Nonprofits and Schools through ChangingThePresent
Visitors can donate to more than one nonprofit at a time on ChangingThePresent. They do so by donating to ImportantGifts Inc, the 501(c)(3) nonprofit that operates the site. It makes a sub-grant to your organization and transmits the donation amount, less the PayPal fee and transaction fee, at the end of the month following the donation.
We use Dwolla to process that sub-grant payment, since it does not incur a transaction fee.
Donations to K-12 Teachers through GiftsForHumanity
People can donate to fund educational resources for teachers classroom use. In order to make those donations tax-deductible and eligible for matching by employers, here is how we handle them.
- Donations are officially made through the site to ClassWish, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
- ClassWish credits the full amount of the donation—less the 5% transaction fee to GiftsForHumanity and the PayPal processing fee of 2.2% and 30 cents—to the teacher's ClassWish wish list account. If teachers do not already have a wish list, they can create easily one at any time).
- The teacher can use the funds to obtain needed resources, as set forth at www.ClassWish-Vendors.org.
- ClassWish charges the teacher wish list account only the amount the teacher would have paid for the items. It does not deduct any fee for itself.